Wednesday

My Fixx

Last Thursday I joined 11 of my fellow writers from the Red Bird Red Oak writing center in Bay View and read an excerpt from a short story I've been working on (and off) for over a year. Though I hadn't done much to my story in recent months (it's called 'Elephant' and about an older, married woman who suddenly grows a tail; correct), I figured, hell, this'll be good for me. I'll do it. And Una will come and stand ovate for me. (Yeah, I made that a verb. It's a writerly thing to do.)


I participate in two RBRO monthly group workshops, and both leaders were in attendance and read (Kim and Robert). The majority of the other participants were strangers, and I enjoyed hearing their pieces, in particular Luke Patterson's, one of two high schoolers who read. He created a really vivid, futuristic story about post-apocalyptic London that I was making a movie of in my head as he read. Una's personal favorite was an older man's novel-in-progress entitled "Undead Vikings in Love" and featuring a title character called Grundel. I am not kidding.

Here I am before the 35 or so people in attendance:


A good experience and a reminder I need to be editing and rewriting all the time. As you can see, I was not alone at the mic (that belly grows daily). Little Bloomberry's first time on stage! Don't I look thrilled? I look forward to the days where Baby is up there and I am proudly watching from the darkened audience seats. 

2 comments:

  1. YESSSS!!! You are a brilliant writer and I wish I could have been there to hear you!!

    ReplyDelete